ADSM-L

Re: Your experience with Tivoli Data Protection for MS Exchange

2000-11-14 07:22:32
Subject: Re: Your experience with Tivoli Data Protection for MS Exchange
From: Palmadesso Jack <Jack.Palmadesso AT SWPC.SIEMENS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 07:12:14 -0500
We always back up exchange while it is still active for several reasons.
Mostly because the backups trim the exchange logs after each backup.

I'd also say we are happy with the restore times.  The nice thing about
exchange is the stores are just really big files.  This makes for very fast
backup and restores and keeps your adsm/tsm database really small unlike the
Notes agent.  Restores generally take about the same amount of time as full
backups do.  The part that takes the longest is the rebuilding of the new or
replacement server. I am not involved in that part but I've seen them do it
several times now.  It seems to have some pitfalls.  There were no glitches
with ADSM, only things that had to be done on the exchange side once the
data was back.