ADSM-L

Re: what to do with a bad tape

2000-11-13 16:26:43
Subject: Re: what to do with a bad tape
From: "Shawn D. King" <Shawn_King AT IDG DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:31:05 -0500
Thanks for your help Richard

Shawn

Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU> on 11/13/2000 03:34:30 PM

To:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc:    (bcc: Shawn King/IDGCORP/IDG)

>I have several tapes in my tapepool that keep getting set to unavailable or
read
>only, I have tried to set the access to read write and they get set back, I
want
>to destroy the tape and remove them from my library, but have do I recreate
>them, if the tape is damaged, I must just discard data.
>
>Will they get regenerated automatically or do I have to do a restore of the
>tape??

You didn't say whether the tapes are in your primary or copy pool...
If the former, you should be able to do a Restore Volume from the copy pool.
If in the latter, a Backup Stgpool will recreate the data.
If you have no copy pool, try to do a Move Data, trying on as many drives
as you have, cleaning the drives first, to try your best to get the data
over.  Do an Audit Volume, discarding data, as a last course.

The overall slack approach is to leave the volume read-only until
the data on it expires, and then check the tape out to eliminate it.

   Richard Sims, BU