ADSM-L

File Restore, Needed Tape in Use

2000-11-13 13:07:51
Subject: File Restore, Needed Tape in Use
From: Gail Riley <gail AT STORAGECOM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 13:08:57 -0500
All,

I am running a TSM 3.7.3 environment on AIX 4.3.3.  I will try and provide
some background information.

I am having trouble restoring a file (through an API).  The needed file is
on tape, however the tape is mounted and its status is "Filling".  At the
moment there is minimal amount of data to none flowing out to the tape.
There are no outstanding requests or processes showing.  The mount
retention is 60, while mount wait is 10 (which could be one problem).  When
I look at the sessions I see the following which looks like it is in media
wait.  There has not been a failed request back to the API.  Also, the
restore has been waiting for at least 15 hours!  (We are patient here, but
not this patient)

277 ShMem  MediaW 1.5 H    1.2 G  12.8 G Node

Questions:

1-  Can you restore a file from a tape that is in the filling status?
2-  If so, is there something special we need to do to restore this file?
3-  We want the restore to be automated without manual intervention.
4-  Has anyone run into this before when not using an API?  If so, what did
you have to do to address it?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Gail