ADSM-L

TSM 3.7.3.0 database backup and recovery

2000-11-09 15:29:05
Subject: TSM 3.7.3.0 database backup and recovery
From: Ehland Ann J <ehland.aj AT MELLON DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 15:28:32 -0500
Hello all,

As an FYI, I wanted to let you know that there is a known problem with
backing up the TSM Version 3, Release 7, Level 3.0 (not ADSM!) database and
trying to restore it.
While TSM is able to WRITE the database backup to multiple cartridges, it
appears that TSM is unable to READ multiple cartridges during the restore.
I believe the end-of-file/volume mark is getting spanned to the subsequent
tape, therefore when you try to read the subsequent tape, you will encounter
a media error.  It is not a problem with the cartridge, rather with the TSM
logic. Fixtest 18 is supposed to address this, but is currently not GA.
Please note:  this is only an issue with restoring the database and NOT when
doing a LOAD database.
Also, the ADSM server we were trying to restore is on MVS so I don't know if
this applies to all platforms.
Ann...
DISCLAIMER:   The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential
and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee.  Access, copying
or re-use of the e-mail or any information contained therein by any other
person is not authorized.  If you are not the intended recipient please
notify us immediately by return e-mail to the originator.