ADSM-L

Re: Unload /Reload timings and efficacy

2000-11-08 08:58:16
Subject: Re: Unload /Reload timings and efficacy
From: John Naylor <John.Naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 13:57:35 +0000
Reinhard,
I think the process may be different or improved under 3.7
I have tried it on our much smaller development TSM database
where I saw :-

Before, the load/reload Total Usable Pages: 607,232   Used Pages: 304,812
After,   the load/reload   Total Usable Pages: 608,256    Used Pages: 177,578

So the compress was significant and in this case the unload took 9 minutes and
the
load 15 minutes,  and that is what I based my 6 hour estimate on, but it is a
lot smaller than my production TSM and I was not sure how safe it was to
extrapolate from such a small database.
As far as the performance gain, I must admit I tend to agree with you, certainly
for backups and
the normal small restores. I am not a database expert, but I suppose it may be
different for large restores.
Any database or os390 gurus out there ?
John

Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE> on 11/08/2000 01:32:46 PM