ADSM-L

Re: Restore Sun Solaris from scratch

2000-11-03 11:40:11
Subject: Re: Restore Sun Solaris from scratch
From: Estee Chen <glicadsm AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 16:39:44 GMT
hi,
Just some extra input for mksysb. On our site,we direct mksysb backup of
each server to a filesystem/file (instead of tape), eg.
/mksysb/server1_mksysb.110200, get TSM/ADSM to backup the file during daily
backup. We have NIM(Network Installation Management) server set up, so if we
need to rebuild server1, we restore server1_mksysb.110200 to NIM server,
perform network boot on server1 (of cause, you need to define 'machine'
server1 in NIM server), push the mksysb images from NIM to server1.... the
rest of the steps is just like restoring from tape, only different is by
this way, we don't have to worry having each servers connected to a tape
drive, backing mksysb to tape drive, tape rotation, etc... also mainly, it's
much faster over the high speed network than a DLT tape drive.

Cheers,
Estee Chen
Guardian Life, New York.