ADSM-L

Re: Memory Sizing for ADSM/TSM

2000-11-03 11:23:05
Subject: Re: Memory Sizing for ADSM/TSM
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 11:22:59 -0500
>         Agreed, but I'm sure you've had to do some explaining in the
> past for purchases and it's not always that simple.  I have all the
> data I need to ask for more memory.  What I would like is responses
> from others who have large databases and this may or may not help me
> to get more than 1 GB of additional memory.

Marco,

     Look at "Cache Hit Pct." and "Cache Wait Pct." in the q db f=d
output.  You want to see cache hit % in the 98-99 range and Wait% to be
zero.  If these numbers are not in these ranges, then your performance
suffers.  Increasing BUFPOOLSIZE in dsmserv.opt is the knob to turn, but
if you turn it up to far, your system will page if you are short of real
memory.

I have 2GB on my F50 with a 43GB DB that is 66% full, and am getting Cache
Hit Pct. = 98.60, with 128,000 Buffer Pool pages.

My on-order H80 will also have 2GB initially.

My Sun E3000 with a 67GB DB has 3GB, 236000 buffer pool pages, and a cache
hit % of 98.5.

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
ADSM Administrator
(tkssteve AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 |
http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)