ADSM-L

Re: how is a weekly FULL bkup scheduled?

2000-11-01 08:42:24
Subject: Re: how is a weekly FULL bkup scheduled?
From: Serge Gaudet/EIG <Serge.Gaudet AT ECONOMICALINSURANCE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 08:40:03 -0500
...that's right.... selective backups do process the include-exclude
list...  I neglected to mention making reference to a separate dsm.opt file
when I perform selective backups.... (aliases do wonders in AIX, and when I
call for a selective backup, the behind-the-scenes details are taken care
of on my behalf.  After a while, you forget those details).  My apology.
The last thing I wanted, was mislead somebody.

Regards,
Serge Gaudet

                    "France, Don G
                    (Pace)"               To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    <don.france-ed        cc:
                    s AT EDS DOT COM>            Subject:     Re: how is a
weekly FULL bkup scheduled?
                    Sent by:
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MAR
                    IST.EDU>

                    01/11/2000
                    03:46 AM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

You need to realize that the include/exclude list is used for SEL as well
as
INCR;  if you must have varying kinds of overlapping/conflicting inclexcl
lists, you must use different node names --- all backup data is subject to
the inclexcl list.  (I understand this is not the case with NetBackup, but
that's another conversation;  I'm told it allows the equivalent of
different
management classes for each backup version/copy of a file --- no implicit
re-binding on subsequent backup sessions.)

A couple alternatives (a) archive (this was how we did things until v3.7
came along), or (b) generate backup set which consolidates all the active
(only) copies of backup files.

All the choices discussed have their various downsides, especially when
considering Oracle archive logs that are "gone" (ie, marked inactive due to
being deleted from the client file system), yet you want to be able to
reach
back, for point-in-time restore, beyond the most recent full backup to one
from a week or three ago, replaying logs from the most recent month-end
full
backup.

ARCHIVE can quickly become the most practical;  for databases, you can
repeatedly add to an archive package (eg, 1st daily full, plus all
subsequent archive logs, of a given month), changing the package
description
as part of each month-end archive process.

Regards,
Don