ADSM-L

Restore Volume from offsite tapes

2000-09-27 18:52:27
Subject: Restore Volume from offsite tapes
From: Estee Chen <glicadsm AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 22:51:21 GMT
hi folks,
let me try to make my story short ..
we have a primary disk pool, a primary tape pool(in 3494 tape library) and a
copy tape pool(also our drm tape pool, which get offsite everyday).
We lost/misplace one volume from primary tape pool (how it get out from the
3494 tape library? I don't know), I found that out when space reclamation
failed.

"q vol HO1302" shows it's in primary tape pool
"q libvol 3494 HO1302" said no match found
"mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -qV -VHO1302" shows
Volume Data:
  volume state.........Volume present in Library, but Inaccessible
  logical volume.......No
  volume class.........3590 1/2 inch cartridge tape
  volume type..........HPCT 320m nominal length
  volser...............HO1302
  category.............012C
  subsystem affinity...01 02 03 04 05 06 00 00
                       00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
                       00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
                       00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

... trust me, the tape is not in the library.
question#1 : why mtlib says it's present in library??

Okie, next thing to do is recall my drm tape and try to restore volume.
I did a "restore volume ho1302 preview=yes" to get the list of offsite
volume to be recalled and I change the access mode of these tapes (41 tapes
in total) to UNAVAILABLE so that no other process can move the data in these
tapes before they are send back to me tomorrow (hopefully).
question#2 : when I do "q drm" of these tapes after changing it to
UNAVAILABLE, no match found! (I would expect them to be in 'vault' status,
seems like DRM remove them from drm record). SO, my question is, what should
I do with the tapes after I've done restore? do I have to send them back to
offsite? or will DRM take care of them by generate new tapes and these tapes
is now as good as scratch?

Any idea/insight/experience to share is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Estee Chen