ADSM-L

NO! Not Another Question About Retention of Inactive Versions!

2015-10-04 17:27:38
Subject: NO! Not Another Question About Retention of Inactive Versions!
From: Steven Chaba [mailto:Steven_Chaba AT RGE DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Sadly, yes. A search of the archives didn't turn up exactly this scenario (a
real-world situation, at least as real as our world is), so here goes:

A managment class has the following parameters:
Versions Data Exists: 7
Versions Data Deleted: 3
Retain Extra Versions: 180
Retain Only Version: 90

In our example, let the file be backed up daily for 10 days, starting with
day
1, to fully populate (and then some) the ADSM database and storage pools
with
versions of this file. If I understand how this works, on day 10 I will
have:

The active version, to which the above paramters do not apply
-and-
six inactive versions, which were created on days 4 through 9, and which are
six inactive versions, which were created on days 4 through 9, and which are
due
to expire on days 184 through 189.
(And as a side note, the versions created on days 1 through 3 are have
already
expired.)

Then, on day 11, the file is deleted and a full incremental is run.

On the next expiration, the Versions Data Deleted kicks in and deletes the
versions from days 4 through 8 immediately.

Does this then leave me with:
The version from day 10, which was the active version and gets the Retain
Only
Version parameter applied to it, which would imply that it will expire on
day
101
-and-
The versions from days 8 and 9, which already had their "inactive" clocks
The versions from days 8 and 9, which already had their "inactive" clocks
ticking before the file was deleted, still exist because they meet the
Versions
Data Deleted criteria, and are scheduled to expire on days 188 and 189.
(?!?!)

If I follow how these parameters interrelate (or don't), this scenario makes
it
possible to have one or more files around that are older inactive versions
even
after the file that was the last active version (before deletion on the
client
host) is gone from ADSM.

Is this how it really works? If not, can someone point out the error of my
ways,
and I will gladly repent, go forth and retain no more (or at least no more
than
I have to).

Thanks for the enlightenment.
Regards, Steven
Steven Chaba, Lead Analyst
ADSM/AIX/HACMP (What more could you ask for?) Admin
Rochester Gas & Electric
Rochester, NY

Confidentiality Note: The information transmitted is intended only for the
person or entity to whom or which it is addressed and may contain
dissemination or other use of this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this in error,
please delete this material immediately.