ADSM-L

Re: Disaster Recovery Test.

2000-09-27 13:17:10
Subject: Re: Disaster Recovery Test.
From: Christine Wickham <Christine.Wickham.B AT BAYER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 13:16:00 -0400
I would make several recommendations, having done this twice so far this year.

Take blank tapes of all media you might use (ie, 8mm for AIX mksysbs, DLT for
the library, etc). While
you're at it, take cleaning tapes too. We had our own, and used several of
them. By the time Sungard
found their cleaning tapes, we had already cleaned the drives and moved on.
Create your volume group creation scripts ahead of time and stick them in the
mksysb/savevg or bring
them on a floppy. Sungard is supposed to tell you what equipment you will have.
They gave us 4.5 GB
SSA drives,which differs from what we have on site (a mix of 9.1 and 4.5 GB
SSA). The scripts we used
at Sungard differed greatly from the ones used to create the vgs at home.
Create a detailed plan (more than what you've got here) that lists all steps
with commands included. This way,
when you are tired or distracted after a long day, you don't have to go on
memory.  We took pages of
documetation to the first test, and refined it for the second test, adding in
all the steps we hadn't thought
of before (like exporting all the volumegroups so that when they are recreated,
there aren't any conflicts in
/etc/filesystems).
If possible bring your own command reference manuals and the ADSM manuals.
Sungard only has
hardware documentation, and they don't provide access to the internet.  While
we were at Sungard
our remote dial in system was down for a period of time, stranding us from the
online docs (we did
have hard copies).
Know what version of the firmware your STK library is running. If possible,
have your STK engineer
give you a duplicate copy to bring with you. We spent 11 hours attempting to
getACSLS running
and the problem turned out to be the library was at the wrong version of
firmware. TheSTK onsite
guys weren't much help. It took a hotline product engineer to figure it out.
Of course, bring all the hotline phone numbers and site numbers.
Bring a picture of how everything is to be set up (send it ahead if you can). A
picture is worth a
thousand words when attempting to get the equipment in the right place, and
connected up properly.
When you get there, go over all the hardware and connections. We were suprised
by the fact that
our server couldn't communicate on the network. Turns out there was an extra FE
adapter in the
server (not at our request) and that was what they had hooked up.

Hope this helps.
-Chris Wickham
Bayer Corp, Pharma Division
Bayer Corp, Pharma Division

"DDA.RFC-822=ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU/P=Internet/A= /C=us" on 09/27/2000
09:46:17 AM
Please respond to "DDA.RFC-822=ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU/P=Internet/A= /C=us"
@ X400