ADSM-L

Re: 7G TAPES

2015-10-04 17:27:38
Subject: Re: 7G TAPES
From: Tab Trepagnier [mailto:Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Perpetua,

Careful.

If your library is not XL ready it can't use the XL tapes.  In a library
that is
XL ready, you can freely mix B, C, and XL tapes - that's what we're doing in
our
L18 library.

If your library has 3570C drives (with green eject buttons) you can have
them
upgraded to XL compatibility by ordering Feature Code 2007, "C Format XL
Cartridge Support".  That is just a microcode update and costs less than
$1000
in the U.S.  As far as I know, 3570B drives (blue button) cannot be upgraded
-
they must be replaced.  But I'm not an IBM employee so others may have
they must be replaced.  But I'm not an IBM employee so others may have
better
info.

If you apply the upgrade, you will probably have to redefine your drives in
the
OS and redefine the drives in *SM.  We did.

We have had very good results since the upgrade was applied (up to 25 GB per
tape in rare cases using drive compression) and we don't have to keep track
of
which tapes can go in which libraries.

Good luck.

Tab

"Selva, Perpetua" <perpetua.selva AT RBCDS DOT COM> on 09/27/2000 10:20:08 AM