ADSM-L

TSM 3.7 -- 9840 Tape drives speed

2000-09-25 23:06:13
Subject: TSM 3.7 -- 9840 Tape drives speed
From: Vijay Havaralu <vhavaralu AT CHUBB DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 10:33:12 -0400
Hello everyone,

Just a question about how to increase tape data copy speed.  We are getting
a tape copy speed of 15 gb/hr
on stk-9840 drives with stk-9710 library.  The tapes can run at a speed of
10 MB/sec which count to 36 GB/hr.  We once when adsm-db is small, got a
speed of tape copy in 23 minutes (20 gb).  But now invariably
we are getting a speed of 20gb  in  1hr  20 minutes (fastest),  that counts
to about 15 gb/hr. (like move data,
or migration or backup stg copies).

I appreciate, if any body can give a clue whether the tape can be made to
copy faster, upto its speed; which
adsm-tsm 3.7  or aix-4.3 parameters can help to speed them up.  We have 8
drives with 4 scsi-cards, each
with daisy chaining 2 drives / card-cable; within one library.

Thanks in advance, vijay.