ADSM-L

Re: Slow restore for large NT client outcome.. appeal to Tivoli

2000-09-22 11:07:59
Subject: Re: Slow restore for large NT client outcome.. appeal to Tivoli
From: Blair Wickstrand <Blair_Wickstrand AT BR-INC DOT CA>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 07:49:37 -0600
I couldn't tell you. Each persons definition of a small file and large amount of
small files can be completely different. In one area a 100meg file can be
considered small while another group may consider it huge. I have a volume with
over 3 million files which average about 24k bytes in size. Even Arcserve would
roll-over on that one. In my experience Arcserve will out perform on a full
volume restore by at least 3 to 1 on tests I have done on a 40Gig backup then
within hours a full restore. No chance of anything other than a single initial
full backup. As time goes on transfer rates drop to maybe 100Megs/hour on as
little as a directory which contains 20 some files. The 17Gig/hour is actual
transfer of data in that hour. Peak transfer rates on 100+meg files exceeds
30Gigs/hour ( across the LAN) while smaller files of course slow it down. The
30Gig/hour seems to be the best it can transfer even on Gigabyte files (
Arcserve database ) on local filesystems.  Sorry, I don't have a direct answer
to your question.  On Netware, TSM on restores seem to peek out at 10Gig/hour
under the best of conditions.  I'm still trying to understand exactly what is
going on to better define the problem.

The hardware I'm using for Arcserve ..

Compaq Proliant 1850R PIII 500Mhz, 396Meg RAM , 10K RPM drive holds the Arcserve
database.
Tape Drives are DLT35/70 mounted in TL892 tape libraries. connected via
differential SCSI.

The server is dedicated to Arcserve. The server is connected to the LAN via
Gigabit NIC,

George Yang <george_yang AT VENCOR DOT COM> on 09/21/2000 10:37:32 AM