ADSM-L

Re: restoring files from another machine

2000-09-22 08:38:24
Subject: Re: restoring files from another machine
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 08:38:24 -0400
> I have problems trying to restore files from an AIX box to another. I'm
> following the instruccions given in "Using the Backup-Arching Clients",
> v 3.7, chapter 3 (Authorizing Another User to Restore/Retrive Your Files
> and Restoring or Retrieving Another User's Files).
> What I do is:
> 1) In the server from which I want to restore the files, in its main
> window, click Utilities.
> 2) Chose User Access List...
> 3 Enter the following data:
> * as Node, the node name of the client where I want to restore the
> information.
> * as User, a user name with owner privileges in the target server (the
> one given in Node above)
> * as Directory, *.
> * as Filename, *.
> 4) Then, In the target server, I click Utilities and select Access
> Another User...
> 5) Enter the following data:
> * as Node name: the name of the source server.
> * as User: the user name especified in the User Access List in the other
> machine.
>
> I believe that I'm doing what I have to do, step by step. However after
> that I select the SET button, I get the file level tree of the source
> server and just can see the file system names but not its contents (no
> files nor subdirectories within the file systems).

Sergio - Did you also select "Authorization type" to be Backup in the
         source system?  Also use the GUI or 'dsmc q access' on the source
system to check the settings.
    If you're dealing with root on the two AIX systems, it makes more sense
to follow the manual's description of "Restore or Retrieve Files to
Another Workstation", which avoids all the authorization complexities.
      Richard Sims, BU