ADSM-L

Re: Unknown Exchange API error

2000-09-21 20:49:57
Subject: Re: Unknown Exchange API error
From: "Walker, Lesley R" <lesley.walker AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 12:49:25 +1200
Del Hoobler [SMTP:hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM] wrote:
> We have seen this a few times but cannot pinpoint it
> without a trace... TDP for Exchange is calling
> an Exchange API to do something and the Exchange Server
> is giving an error that even it as no error message for...
> ...which means the Exchange Server wasn't expecting
> it to experience this error either...

Sorry to butt in, this may not be helpful, but a point of interpretation -

I assume you're talking about messages in the event log that say
(paraphrased) "I don't know what this error is but here are the strings it
contains".  That doesn't necessarily mean Exchange "wasn't expecting" the
error - what it means is that the part of the system that interprets the
error messages has got screwed up.  I used to see it a lot when I was doing
Exchange, reading the event log from my PC which had other questionable
software installed.  You might find that if you reinstall the Exchange Admin
client, you might get the error messages back, and they will definitely make
more sense.

Another thing, Exchange has a HUGE number of things that be logged or
not-logged depending on configuration settings.  You really need to dig
deeply into those settings to make sure you're getting the right level of
information.

(hoping I'm not teaching anyone to suck eggs here)