ADSM-L

Re: Problems backing up Novell servers with TSM 3.7.1 client

2000-09-21 04:03:46
Subject: Re: Problems backing up Novell servers with TSM 3.7.1 client
From: Christo Heuër <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:08:13 +0200
Jeff,

I do not have such big Netware servers - they've all been converted to NT.
What I can remember in terms of performance when you have quite big netware
volumes is to try two options - maybe together.
The first is incremental by date option - specified by -incr on the backup
command line or as -incr on the overriding client options on your schedule.
Then there is processorutil xxxx - this specifies the number of CPU slices
Adsm must use the CPU before releasing it for another process to use.
There is a final option where you can specify verbose no - that will not
write each file being backed up to the schedule log - this makes quite a big
difference.

The incremental by date option causes the backup to run a lot quicker
because there is less overhead than when running a normal incr backup. It
only looks at the date to decide to backup or not.

Don't blame the backup software here - I think your biggest problem is the
NDS on Netware - when backing up if anything in the NDS is not working like
it should you end up with the backup process waiting on the NDS to respond.

I'm not a netware guy - so maybe find out from your netware people what can
cause the backup process to perform badly from the netware point of view.

Sorry I can not give you more than this - but it should keep you busy for a
while.
As a last resort you can try putting on traceoptions to see what exactly the
client is spending it's time on.

Regards
Christo Heuer
ABSA Bank