ADSM-L

Re: Would you buy TSM again.

2000-09-21 00:48:27
Subject: Re: Would you buy TSM again.
From: Suad Musovich <suad AT CCU1.AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:48:32 +1200
Rating: 8

I have found TSM to be an excellent product.
We are running >700 Nodes, and upgrading to a SAN architecture so we can
keep growing/take advantage of the LAN free approach.

The only reasons it doesn't get a 10 are;
It is quite complicated when you first look in. I think it's roots
in the IBM large systems world has made it's mark.
This negative has a positive, as it needs to have flexibility and many
features/flags to maintain a large, potential complex environment.
The GUI tools are quite good now though (even though I have learnt the
command line :)

Getting reporting summaries out of the database can be a pain. There
are lots of ways of getting stuff but you end up hacking a lot of SQL.
Other information, that you would think is important, doesn't seem to
be accessable or can take a lot of effort on the server to get.
We are getting the Decision Support package to, hopefully, get us
ready-made information for the suits.

You might want to look at the availability of the Data Protection for
Applications you are running that takes advantage of the SAN environment.

Cheers, Suad