ADSM-L

Re: NT Permissions and Restore

2000-09-20 10:13:47
Subject: Re: NT Permissions and Restore
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 10:14:27 -0400
Take a look at the Web client.
It's designed for this case - to let someone at a help desk (or operations)
run restores remotely.

You can give your operators an ADSM admin id with the ADSM authority of
"CLIENT OWNER", just for specific machines.
That gives them NO ADSM server management priveleges, but it gives them the
ability to ability to run ADSM remote restores  just for those clients you
specify.  They use a web browser from anwhere on the network to run the
restore.

The restore runs under the authority of the NT "client acceptor" service,
which is the "system" id.  (The client acceptor service is installed
automatically when you install the ADSM client.  You just have to go to
Control Panel/Services and activate it.)  So your operators would have the
ability to restore anything to those machines.

There is the (relatively small) exposure that they could restore something
they shouldn't.  But they can do it without having any NT permissions even
to log on to the NT server at all.

HOpe that helps,,

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert