ADSM-L

TSM 3.7 Database unload/reload

2000-09-18 11:07:49
Subject: TSM 3.7 Database unload/reload
From: Jeff Connor <connorj AT NIAGARAMOHAWK DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:04:01 -0400
     Our TSM V3.7 server running on OS/390 has a 32GB database
that's 85% utilized.  We have been adding volumes over the last 5
or so years starting with ADSM version 1 and have never done an
unload/reload/re-org.  I've been thinking of trying to unload and
reload this servers database and was wondering what other TSM 3.7
or 4.1 users have experienced after attempting an unload/reload.
I remember hearing stories in the past on the listserv about this
process running for days, database growing in size on the reload,
etc.  I'm wondering if the long outage is worth it and what gains
you might have realized in terms of better performance, database
size reduction, etc. after unloading/reloading your database.
Any idea how many hours it might take to perform this process on
a 32GB database?

Thanks
Jeff Connor
Niagara Mohawk Power Corp