ADSM-L

Re: Auto-negotiate setting for NIC's

2000-09-15 07:36:05
Subject: Re: Auto-negotiate setting for NIC's
From: "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 07:39:46 -5
On 14 Sep 2000, at 12:02, Gerald Wichmann wrote:
> TSM backups were seeing a network throughput of 600-1000K/sec.. this was
> horrible as I was used to seeing 4000-5000K/sec.. Backups were running well
> into the day.. something was seriously amiss. After doing some sniffing (we

When we have a auto-neg problem it usually shows up as throughput in
this range also - well less than 1MB/s.

My Standard practice on any new system is to ftp a large file and see
the throughput number.

I also use an old product called UserAccess which is a kind of ftp
with minimal scripting capability.  It has the unique ability to send
a bit stream from one system to another without having to read a file
on one end and write it on the other.  It gives a real good test of
maximum lan throughput.  It's great for debugging lan throughput
problems.  I wish there were some other downloadable/free product
that had a similar function.

Rick