ADSM-L

Re: Auto-negotiate setting for NIC's

2000-09-14 14:41:22
Subject: Re: Auto-negotiate setting for NIC's
From: "Cooper, Joel (US - Hermitage)" <jocooper AT DTTUS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:37:03 -0500
I have 200+ Compaq servers.

One set is remote, and they are set to 100/Full. Insight Mgr doesn't lie.
The other set is set to Auto. And this works fine.
The only time we've ever had a problem is when the port in the 3Com switch
is not matched to the NIC.
If we have Compaq NIC Auto ---> 3Com Switch Auto, no problems.
If we have Compaq NIC 100/F --> 3Com Switch 100F, no problems.
If either is off, we see throughput of about 1 (ONE) mBit.

Because we go through the switch to the TSM NIC, its setting is not relevant
as long as it is set correctly to communicate through the switch.

Joel Cooper
Deloitte & Touche LLP
jocooper AT deloitte DOT com