ADSM-L

Re: Backing up legacy systems / standard input?

2000-09-14 06:38:47
Subject: Re: Backing up legacy systems / standard input?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 06:38:57 -0400
>Can I solve this problem without having to write my own utility in C and
>the API?
>
>Can Tivoli backup up the 'contents' of a named pipe?
>
>Is there any way I can use 'dsmc' to back up standard input?

Performing a backup on a named pipe simply records information about the pipe
so that it can be recreated in restoral.
The 'dsmc' command is rather inflexible, and cannot be used to back up from
standard input.  (A client developer with spare time could make points with
the customer base by allowing the dsmc client to accept the option '-' to
signify input from Stdin, as the tar command does, and an option like
'-ASSIGNNAME=____' for a filespace object name.)
You'll probably have to take the API route to perform the backup.
You say you don't have enough disk space to make a disk image and then
back that up; but unless Pick uses some odd disk type, consider that
disks today are very cheap, and would cost far less than your time in
doing API work.  Alternately, is there any way to share the disk with
another system (NFS, etc.) such that it could be backed up from there?
   Richard Sims, BU