ADSM-L

Backing up legacy systems / standard input?

2000-09-14 03:31:10
Subject: Backing up legacy systems / standard input?
From: Brad Rosser <Brad_Rosser AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 17:16:04 +1000
Hi.  We've just started using TSM - version 3.7 on Solaris 2.6.

We have a legacy application which runs under an implementation of Pick
on top of Solaris.  Currently it's backed up to a tape drive but of late
the size of the backup has exceeded the capacity of the tape.

I gather that the backup uses some sort of Pick 'dump' command,
dumping directly to the tape device.  We don't have enough disk space
to dump to disk and then invoke Tivoli as a second step to back up the
disk image to the server.

How can I use TSM to back up this legacy system?

I guess it's the same problem that's solved by the Data Protection
products for each of their respective applications (Oracle, Exchange, etc).
Can I solve this problem without having to write my own utility in C and the
API?

Can Tivoli backup up the 'contents' of a named pipe?

Is there any way I can use 'dsmc' to back up standard input?  Usually in
this sort of situation I'd see if the Pick 'dump' command would accept a
Unix named pipe (FIFO) as its device argument, and then run a backup
command reading stdin from the pipe.

Many thanks,

Brad Rosser
brad_rosser AT health.qld.gov DOT au