ADSM-L

Re: Restore of Inactive System Objects on W2K

2000-09-13 16:24:36
Subject: Re: Restore of Inactive System Objects on W2K
From: "Rushforth, Tim" <TRushfor AT CITY.WINNIPEG.MB DOT CA>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:24:33 -0500
Thanks Andy (and Tricia) for the update.  I am glad to see that improvements
are coming.  Unfortunately it appears they won't be soon enough for us (we
will be starting a pilot within a month).

I am trying to integrate MS Backup of System Objects into our TSM backups
for Windows 2000 to support:
restore of inactive system objects (TSM does not currently support)
restore a single Group Policy Object, startup/shutdown scripts etc
(basically anthing stored in SYSVOL) (If TSM supports this I would
appreciate someone letting me know how - with MS backup I can go into
Directory Services Restore Mode, restore  System State to a different
location and then find the appropriate file then copy it to a DC.)

So my procedure is:
MS backup of system objects to Local Hard Drive
Backup with TSM (which gives me the MS backup on TSM)

Bare Metal Restore for DC is:
install W2K in same directory, same name etc.
configure hard drives
install TSM client
restore C:\drive
boot into DS Restore Mode
Use MS backup to Restore System Objects

This seems to work pretty well, except I noticed that my modified boot.ini
was not restored.  This is because TSM includes this in it's "System Files"
portion of System Ojbects so you cannot backup the file.  So the file was
not restored as part of the TSM file restore.  MS Backup does not include
boot.ini in it's "Boot Files" portion of System State backup.

I could change my procedure to, use TSM to restore system files before I do
the MS restore I guess?  If I knew for sure that boot.ini was the only file
affected I could ensure I backup this copy to a different location and then
TSM would back it up as a regular file.

Does anyone know why the TSM "System Files" don't match MS "Boot Files"?

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on this procedure?

Thanks,

Tim Rushforth
City of Winnipeg
trushfor AT city.winnipeg.mb DOT ca