ADSM-L

Slow restore for large NT client.. help!

2000-09-13 13:40:14
Subject: Slow restore for large NT client.. help!
From: Jeff Connor <connorj AT NIAGARAMOHAWK DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:20:03 -0400
     We are in the process of restoring a subdirectory of a very
large NT client file space (D:) and it is running really slow.  I
thought I'd see if any of you have some ideas as to where we can
look for bottlenecks.
The client config is:
     Compaq proliant 5500
     400MB RAM
     two 400MHz Xeon processors.
     ~160GB of disk in a Compaq disc array made up of 18.2GB
drives
     Windows NT 4.0 SP6a
     TSM client for NT 3.7.2.01
     Applicable TSM client options:
          tcpwindowsize 63
          tcpbuffsize         31
          tcpnodelay       yes
          txnbytelimit       25600

TSM server config
     TSM for OS/390 V3.7.1.0
     OS/390 2.6
     9672-R55
     TSM server DB cache hit ratio 98.5%
     ApplicableTSM server options:
          TXNGROUPMAX 256
          Databufferpoolsize  262144

Network path:
     NT Client ----100Mbit Ethernet --> Switch -- 100Mbit
Ethernet--> Cisco 7513 rtr -- 155Mbit ATM -> Cisco 5500 atm
switch -->IBM 2216 -->ESCON --> S/390 TSM Server

Now that you have the background here's what we are seeing.

Only 4.7GB have been transfered in 4 hours.  We are attempting to
restore one subdirectory on the D: drive first.
TSM command line client command entered was:
     RES -subd=y \\filecluster2\d$\groups\ugitoper\*
The D: drive has approximately 2,000,000 files.  Lots of small
files.  NT client is a file and print server.
A network sniffer trace shows mostly large chunks of data sent,
no restransmits, then the NT client appears to throttle back,
decreasing the tcpwindow size as if it could not accept the data
as fast as TSM was sending it.  Windows sizes go to zero at times
then bounces back to large window size(64512).
NT perfmon shows plenty of memory and cpu with minimal disk
queueing.

This brings me to my question.  What tools can I use or what
metrics in perfmon can I check to see "under the covers"
to determine what is slowing us down.  The network support staff
feels the network bandwidth is there and feel the NT client is
throttleling things back.  The NT support staff says the NT
client machine is not overwhelmed in terms of CPU, Memory, disk,
etc. they feel TSM is the problem.

What could be the bottleneck on the NT client and what tool can I
use to find it?

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
Jeff Connor
Niagara Mohawk Power Corp