ADSM-L

Re: TSM NT Client

2000-09-13 08:39:54
Subject: Re: TSM NT Client
From: Lisa Cabanas <CABANL AT MAIL.MODOT.STATE.MO DOT US>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 07:39:42 -0500
Bill,
Do you know which key it is failing on?  Is anyone logged onto these machines
when they are trying to back up?  What were the Dr. Watsons?  Can you glean any
info from the system or application event logs?  Are there any specific locks or
"fixes" to any of the registry keys thru machine policies?  I don't know if
finding these answers will help find the problem, but it would be something I'd
look at.

lisa

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          Bill Sherrill|
|        |          <billsh AT US DOT IB|
|        |          M.COM>       |
|        |                       |
|        |          09/13/2000   |
|        |          07:06 AM     |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          "ADSM: Dist  |
|        |          Stor Manager"|
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU                         |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Lisa Cabanas/SC/MODOT)                 |
  |       Subject:     TSM NT Client                           |
  >------------------------------------------------------------|

I have 15 NT clients at 3.7.2.01.  I installed the TSM client code myself
on each system with an id that was set up by the system administrators.
The problem that I am having is with backing up the registry on four of the
15.  I originally set up all of the clients to run incremental backups
through the services using dsmcutil install.  Four of the NT systems were
failing every day and were getting Dr. Watson's errors.  I went through and
added the backup registry no parameter to these four systems and set up
separate schedules to run the registry backup as a command.  The registry
backup continues to fail as a scheduled process.  I contacted TSM support
and they felt that it was a permissions issue even though I can
successfully run the backup manually.  I contacted the system
administrators and they can not find any difference between these systems
that work and those that don't.  I can log into the NT systems and execute
the same command to backup the registry as the scheduler executes.  The
following is the error message that I am getting in dsmerror.log from the
scheduled backup:

09/12/2000 20:58:40 ANS1228E Sending of object 'C:' failed
09/12/2000 20:58:45 ANS1435E An Error Occurred saving the Key.
09/12/2000 20:58:45 ANS1428E Registry Backup function failed.

Does anyone have any ideas on this problem?  What can I have the system
administrators do to set up the scheduler so that I can pinpoint the
permissions problem?  If the system administrator stops and starts the
service, does that take on their permissions?

Thanks in advance,
Bill Sherrill
Analyst International Corporation