ADSM-L

Cut MVS CPU Utilization

2015-10-04 17:27:37
Subject: Cut MVS CPU Utilization
From: Darlene E Wnukowski [mailto:Darlene.Wnukowski AT SFICORP DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
I have been able to cut the MVS TSM server's use of CPU from a high of 60%
of
a 7060-H50 to under 10% of a 7060-H50 during backup of tape storage pools. I
did it by changing two parameters in the server parameter file. One of them,
TXNGROUPMAX, is not the one that made the difference but I am including it
because I changed it as well to its maximum value of 256. The parameter that
believe had the greatest impact is TAPEIOBUFS. It is documented as being
used
for 3590 tapes but I found a PTF on IBMLink that implies it may also work
for
3480 and 3490 users. The PTF is PQ38991. I would have included it but I'm
not
sure how IBM would feel about that. We have only 3490's for ADSM use and I
set
TAPEIOBUFS to 9. As I said, it made a dramatic difference. I apologize if
this
is old news but I searched the ADSM listserve search site and found no other
reports on this. Let me know if you find this useful. Thank you.

Darlene E. Wnukowski
Lead Systems Programmer
Schreiber Foods, Inc.
darlene AT sficorp DOT com
920-455-6268

Darlene E. Wnukowski
Lead Systems Programmer
Schreiber Foods, Inc.
darlene AT sficorp DOT com
920-455-6268

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify Postmaster AT sficorp DOT com.

swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.