ADSM-L

Re: Client Monitoring and Reporting

2000-09-06 13:52:30
Subject: Re: Client Monitoring and Reporting
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 13:52:36 -0400
Missed and failed backups is easy.

We have our clients outside the data center (which are mostly desktops) in a
separate policy domain.  Then I can run a Q EVENT for just those clients,
pipe the output to an AIX script.

The script looks for any client that DOESN"T have a successful backup in the
last 7 days and then sends a email message to the owner.  That nudges people
who don't check their own scheduler logs, but allows for the fact they may
be on vacation and have the machine powered off for a week.

I do the same thing for ADSM clients that are considered servers (which are
in a different ADSM domain), except that I send email messages to the owner
for any MISSED or FAILED messages.

(This assumes, of course that you have some fairly straightforward way to
match the ADSM node name with the owner's email address.)

We haven't tackled the problem of missed files yet.  But I think you can get
the information pretty well with a SELECT from the activity log for just the
error messages.  The problem is going to be filtering out which failures you
need to act on and which ones are more or less "normal" (such as the classic
failure to back up NTUSER.DAT on an NT machine.)

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert