ADSM-L

Re: NT client 3.7.2.0 installation

2000-09-05 23:58:53
Subject: Re: NT client 3.7.2.0 installation
From: Andy Raibeck <Andrew_Raibeck AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 20:59:00 -0700
Hi Eric,

I am probably covering ground that's already been covered, but
thought I would throw in my "two cents" anyway.

1) You mention installing 3.7.2.0, but hopefully you really mean
   3.7.2.01 (or higher). Of the 3.7.2 levels, I recommend
   3.7.2.16. Do not, under any circumstances, install 3.7.2.0.
   That was an initial release of the 3.7.2 client code that
   was quickly pulled, and replaced with 3.7.2.01. 3.7.2.01 is the
   true GA release for 3.7.2. But as I said, 3.7.2.16 is what I
   recommend. If you go with 3.7.2.16, be sure to review at least
   the top of the READ1STC.TXT file for information on the APARs
   that are fixed in this code.

2) When you run the install, make sure you shut down all
   applications (including NT services) that are not essential to
   running the operating system. This includes Arcserve, any
   database applications, system monitoring software, antivirus
   software, etc. This is a good rule for installing any new
   software, not just TSM. Usually the kinds of errors you are
   seeing could occur if an existing instance of the TSM web
   client services (client acceptor and/or remote client agent)
   is currently running. Just the same, stopping all non-
   essential software is a good idea.

3) Make you are logged in to a *local* administrator account
   when you do the install.

4) Near the end of the "Migration Information" section of the
   READ1STC.TXT file is a discussion of how to clean up any
   remnants of a prior ADSM/TSM installation. If you suspect
   that an existing installation of the client could be
   interfering, that information may be helpful in cleaning
   it up. Normally this shouldn't cause you any problems, so I
   point it out as a last resort.

Regarding the installed services: The 3.7.2.x client installs
"skeleton" services for the TSM Client Acceptor and TSM Remote
Client Agent. It does not install a skeleton scheduler service.
In general these skeleton services are not very helpful as
they do not have sufficient information ahead of time to make
them useful (such as node name, password, etc.). So instead,
after the install is complete, use the Setup Wizard in the
GUI client (run dsm.exe, then select the Utilities/Setup Wizard
menu item) or the command line dsmcutil.exe utility to
configure the web client and scheduler services.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM/Tivoli
e-mail: andrew.raibeck AT tivoli DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

thank you for all those response. I will re-visit customer on Friday
evening and repeat the installation.
If there is still problem during installation or dsmc execution, I will
stop the other processes (eg Arcserve) one by one for problem isolation.
Thank you.

Regards,
Eric Tang