ADSM-L

merging tsm databases

2000-08-23 05:30:19
Subject: merging tsm databases
From: "Bates, Richard" <Richard.Bates AT VERTEX.CO DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:30:34 +0100
We have seven TSM server process running on seven old rs/6000 sp nodes.  We
are disposing of the older sp nodes and purchasing 2 x rs/6000 model m80.
We will be running 4 tsm instances on one server and 3 on the other.

However after purchasing seven adsm-tsm upgrades we are now being informed
by IBM that we should be looking at merging our TSM databases.

We have tried this in the past with the export/import function however this
takes "forever" and we had to cancel the process.  The process copies all
the storage pool data onto a separate set of export tapes.  We were
estimating it would take 2 months for the process to complete.

We could try it on a node by node basis, but our bigger nodes would be out
of backup/archive action for weeks while the export/import was runnning.

One of our IBM reps is trying to tell me that the data does not need to be
copied onto a separate set of tapes during the export process.  He suggests
the process can run in a matter of hours.  Surely this is wrong!

Have some new "database merge" features been introduced in tsm 3.7 or 4.1
that I am not aware of?

Thanks in advance
Richard.

Technical Services (ADSM) - Dawson House
Int: 33298  Ext: (44) 1925 233298  Mob: 0961 146738

The information contained in this e-mail is intended only
for the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain
privileged and confidential information. If you have
received this message in error or there are any problems,
please notify the sender immediately and delete the message
from your computer. The unauthorised use, disclosure,
copying or alteration of this message is forbidden. Neither
Vertex Data Science Limited nor any of its subsidiaries
will be liable for direct, special, indirect or
consequential damage as a result of any virus being passed
on, or arising from alteration of the contents of this
message by a third party.

Vertex Data Science Limited (England and Wales No. 3153391)
registered office Vertex House, Greencourts Business Park,
333 Styal Road, Manchester, M22 5TX