ADSM-L

Windows client looping and Norton Anti Virus (NAV)

2000-08-22 09:00:19
Subject: Windows client looping and Norton Anti Virus (NAV)
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:00:23 -0400
Curious about the high CPU usage some people were experiencing in using TSM on
a Windows box with NAV, I thought I'd ask the Symantec folks what insights
they might have.  See response below, which hopefully helps in this issue.
Thanks to Ed Pabalate and John Monahan for providing info on specific systems
experiencing the problem.

   Richard Sims, BU

------------------- Response from "Ask Symantec service" -------------------
Perhaps this is a permissions issue.  There are two things I would try:
Perhaps this is a permissions issue.  There are two things I would try:

Have the NAV services log in under a local Admin account instead of
  LocalSystem

Try the following registry edit:

        1) Run \WINNT\System32\REGEDT32.EXE.

        2) Click on the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on Local Machine" window.

        3) Browse to and double-click on \Software\Intel\LANDesk\VirusProtect6
\CurrentVersion so that it appears highlighted.

        4) From the menu, click on "Security" and select "Permissions".

        5) In the Registry Key Permissions window, highlight "Administrators"
and
click on the "Add" button.

        6) In the Add Users and Groups window under "Names", select "Everyone"
and
click on the "Add" button. Then change the "Type of Access:" to "Full", click
the "OK" button. (You should now be back in the Registry Key Permissions
window.)

        7) In the Registry Key Permissions window, check the box labeled,
"Replace
Permissions on Existing Subkeys" and click on "OK". You will then be prompted
to "Replace existing Subkeys on all existing subkeys within Symantec?". Select
        "YES".

        8) Browse to the \Software\Symantec key and repeat steps 4 through 7.

        9) Close the Registry Editor.

Please let us know if we can provide more assistance.

Regards,

Marise Gwin
Symantec Online Technical Support