ADSM-L

Re: rs232 vs Ethernet Re: 3494 and RS6000 SP connection

2000-08-21 10:15:24
Subject: Re: rs232 vs Ethernet Re: 3494 and RS6000 SP connection
From: Alexander Z Sokolek Jr <asokolek AT KEYSPANENERGY DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:13:49 -0400
Not having read this thread...  but RS232 does not have the performance
of Ethernet...

The line drivers in RS232 may be pushable to 250kb/s (0.25mb/s),
depending on the capacitance of the cable, but Ethernet can go 10mb/s,
or 100mb/s with Fast Ethernet.  I also don't see a serial UART going
that fast without causing all sorts of grief.

As far as solidity...  If the endpoints are using TCP (stream TCP/IP), I
would expect reliable connections with problems only if the network
traffic and/or collision rate is so poor that you time-out.  If they are
using UDP (datagram TCP/IP), that is a problem, but, still, if they are
they should have the retry logic built in.  (I mention UDP only as it is
possible, though not probable - I do not know what ADSM uses, but I
assume its TCP, not UDP.)

Perhaps you should have your network people look at this very, very
carefully.  You may be having some other problem that you or they may be
attributing to ADSM when, in reality, it may be a bad link or connection
somewhere or a mis-configuration.