ADSM-L

Management Classes or Other Alternative

2000-08-14 14:07:19
Subject: Management Classes or Other Alternative
From: "Barth, Terry V. (MBS)" <Terry.Barth AT MORTGAGEFAMILY DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:35:54 -0400
Hi fellow *MSrs -

I have a situation that I am trying to work out - we have approximately 250
servers each with anywhere from 6 gigs to 250 gigs. The situation is that we
have implemented an offsite copy storage pool - that works fine.

What we are looking to do now is to create long term storage on our nodes. I
realize that there is the new thing called "Instant Archive" - but this is
not automated as far as keeping track of which node went to which tape and
when the tape could be brought back onsite - unless, there is someway to do
it that I am not aware of - in addition, it does not appear to be very easy
to retrieve the data.

I know that there is the standard archiving, however, this must go out to
the server. This is a problem since our window for backups is 10pm to 8am
everyday including weekends. It would be difficult to do the backups and the
archives during this time due to not wanting to bring down or slow down
services.

Therefore, I was just wondering what alternatives are there - or if anyone
had any suggestions on how this could be implemented. For example, possibly
there is a way to have a longer retention period on copy pools???? <That
would be a nice feature - maybe it is available>

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Terry