ADSM-L

Re: Data rate to tape and back

2000-08-12 11:28:02
Subject: Re: Data rate to tape and back
From: arhoads <arhoads AT PACBELL DOT NET>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 08:28:02 -0700
Geoff,

The upgrade process duration is minimal.  The dependency is the size of
your database: the actual database upgrade time is minutes to maybe a
few hours.  You can expect it to go smoothly with respect to the level
of customization of your server.

As with any large change make sure that your daily processing is
completed, make 2 backups of your ADSM database and copy your server (&
client) configurations prior to performing the upgrade.

The issue of optimally configuring for transfers from disk to tape are
the standard issues of spindles & connections.  You don't say SSA but
that would be the typicall RS/6000 configuration for disk.  SSA network
design can optimize performance but valid layouts are pretty good.

Each Magstar 3590-E1x tape drive should be on its own SCSI controller.
Putting two one one controller would work but would also cause more
delays on the bus.

The other, much greater issue it the design of your policy and storage
pool hierarchies.  But this goes beyond a simple upgrade.

The back-out process is simply to remove the software, easy on AIX, and
reinstall the original software plus all successive maintenance
releases, restore the ADSM database (which can be very expensive in
terms of additional disk requirements due to the old restore/reload
database growth bug).

After the upgrade repeat the process of getting ready for the upgrade
(minus the daily processing).

Regards,

Steffan