ADSM-L

Re: alternate plan for DASD primary pools...

2000-08-02 17:18:29
Subject: Re: alternate plan for DASD primary pools...
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 14:18:29 -0700
I've tried something similar (AIX server 3.1.1.5) on SSA disks.
It did not work. In fact, I would say that it was disastrous.

I'd considered doing something like this for a couple of years,
and finally "just did it" and paid in pain. For one thing, the
combination of MAXSCRATCH and MAXCAP with multiple storage pools
is very tricky. If you have a total of 50GB of disk, with 5
storage pools, you might think to set MAXCAP at 1GB and
MAXSCRATCH at 50. But which storage pool will get the MAXSCRATCH
of 50? If you set all five of your storage pools to
MAXSCRATCH=50, and your devclass MAXCAP=1GB, you will end up in
the situation where *each* of the five storage pools will attempt
to create 50 1GB volumes. At some point, when your filesystem is
full, ADSM will complain that your server is out of storage
space, because it has gone and created 250 partially full volumes
in each of your five storage pools.

I never quite understood or investigated why, but
backups/archives would fail at that stage, rather than simply
move on the the pool defined by NEXTSTGPOOL. I was too frustrated
by the experience to bother.

I had wanted to implement something exactly as you described. I
had a bunch of disk space for my disk pools, and I needed to have
multiple disk pools so that they could migrate to different pools
(if you search the depths of the archives, there is a thread from
'98 or so regarding one disk pool migrating to multiple tape
pools). All we really want is one big landing pad for all
incoming data. We don't want to have to micromanage that set of
disks. It's all there, and it's all available, but the way ADSM
is currently structure, you must preallocate that storage space
to one pool or another.

With my experience, I would recommend against what you are trying
to do. Go with regular disk pools.

CAVEAT: We are on 3.1.1.5 of the AIX server--yes it's down rev,
it also works; we're not in the QA business :-). I can't speak to
whether these issues are addressed/fixed in any newer releases of
{AD,T}SM.

 -- Tom

Thomas A. La Porte
DreamWorks SKG