ADSM-L

Re: Backing Up non-owned Files

2000-07-31 13:42:32
Subject: Re: Backing Up non-owned Files
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:42:32 -0500
Now from what I remember (and I haven't double checked the 3.7 docs) is that
if you don't own a file, you CAN NOT back it up because backups
(incremental/selective) actually causes data to go away (rolling off
inactive versions).
I'm surprised that 3.2 let you... when I tested things, you couldn't.

Oh, found something in the docs... look into the TSM authorized user...
Users
TSM authorized user
The usersoption authorizes specific users on your workstation to request
services from
a server. You can use this option more than once to specify a large number
of user IDs.
If you do not specify group names with the groupsoption, or user IDs with
the users
option, all users can request TSM services. If you use the groups option,
the users
option, or both, only users included in one of the specified groups, or
included in the list
of users, can request TSM services.
Define your root user name only with the usersoption to exclude all other
users from
accessing the server.
Options File
Place this option in the client system options file ( dsm.sys).
Syntax
ÊÊ · · USERs username ÊÍ
Parameters
username
Names a user that you want to authorize to request TSM services.
Examples
Options file:
users carol larry davecd kathyba michelle
users amyb tkaspar kbsmith egray srjames
Command line:
Does not apply.

Which Files Are Backed Up
When you request an incremental or selective backup, TSM backs up a file if
all of the
following requirements are met:
v The file is not excluded from backup in your include-exclude options file.
If you do
not have an include-exclude options file, all files are considered for
backup.
v The selected management class contains a backup copy group. See "Chapter
5.
Automating TSM Tasks" on page 49 for more information on management classes
and backup copy groups.
v The file meets the copy serialization requirements defined in the backup
copy group.
If serialization is static or shared static, and the file is in use each
time TSM attempts
to back it up, the file is not backed up.
When you perform an incremental backup of your files, TSM also checks the
following:
v Mode requirements defined in the backup copy group. If the copy mode has a
value
of modified, the file must have changed since the last backup. If the copy
mode has
a value of absolute, the file can be backed up even if it has not changed.
v Frequency requirements defined in the backup copy group. The minimum
number of
days since the last backup must elapse before a file is backed up. (Copy
frequency
is ignored for partial incrementals.)
When you run an incremental or selective backup, TSM also backs up all
directory
information that is not already backed up. You can exclude a directory or
files within a
directory from backup services. Directories are counted in the number of
objects backed
up.

Note: If a TSM authorized user backs up files for a user, the user owns the
backup
versions of the files in storage. The TSM authorized user does not need to
grant the
user access to the backup versions.