ADSM-L

Re: Mksysb

2000-07-28 11:49:42
Subject: Re: Mksysb
From: Gottfried Scheckenbach <gottfried.scheckenbach AT XTELLIGENT DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 17:49:42 +0200
> > Storing   mksyb on s solaris is ok, but whats the use?
> > i mean how we can use it to reintsall the crasghed AIX srver. it should be
> > on
> > tape , i dont know i am wrong or  right?
It mustn't be on tape if you have a NIM master. The NIM software comes
with AIX at no extra charge and you can use every AIX box as Network
Install Manager. The way would be:
a) restore your mksysb image on your NIM master ("master" only means
"server", it's the naming of the product)
b) customize the NIM for installing a mksysb (be aware - it's not easy,
you have to have some experience: p. e. you have the possibility for
attended or unattended installs)
c) perform a network boot of your smashed AIX system on behalf of the
NIM master
d) the mksysb image will be installed accordingly to your customization

> second thing Does Ufsdump for sun is like mksysb , is it bootable?
No!

> and  how to   configure new tape drive to sun box , like we do  " cfgmgr  "
> in AIX.
On solaris I believe there should be a physical device absracting the
tape drive. When you know the slotnumber of the hostadapter, the SCSI-ID
and the LUN, then you can identify the device and you can use it
directliy. I'm not shure if there is any logical abstraction of the
device. Normally you have to have additional software - like veritas
volumemanager with disks - which generates logical devices. But I may be
wrong here - I'm no Solaris guy ;-)

Regards,
Gottfried
Xtelligent IT Consulting, http://www.xtelligent.de