ADSM-L

Re: Mksysb

2000-07-28 10:35:46
Subject: Re: Mksysb
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:35:46 -0400
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Gottfried Scheckenbach wrote:
> From my point of view without purchasing a third party product you could
> in case of a AIX *SM client system
> a) perform a mksysb to filesystem
> b) backup the image with *SM backup/archive client
> c) setup a NIM master, preferably on your *SM server
> d) restore image from *SM to local filespace
> e) configure NIM objects
> d) reinstall from NIM master if client is destroyed
> All needed steps can be easyly automated.

This is exactly what we do here.  What would really be nice, though, is if
mksysb support going directly to ADSM.

> In case of your *SM server the mksysb image shoudn't be stored inside
> the same *SM server, because you don't have any possibility to get the
> image back when your system is smashed. The only way with a single *SM
> server is to do mksysb backups to one of the local attached tapes. But
> you could store your server image into _another_ *SM server. The only
> thing you have to have in addition is a secondary NIM master (preferably
> the second *SM server), which you can use to restore your first *SM
> server.

I have two TSM servers, one Solaris and one AIX, so I backup the AIX's
mksysb to the Solaris server.  For the Solaris server, we use a product
called "Amanda" that does network ufsdump/ufsrestores.  Since my NIM
Master is a different machine, if it fails, then I would/could configure
my AIX TSM machine as the NIM master.  At the time I set NIM up, my TSM
server did not have space, so that is why I used our AIX NFS server...

Mention was also made of SYSBack.  It is a seperate chargeable product
from IBM, whereas, I believe, NIM comes with AIX, and is "free".  NIM is
also more flexible than Sysback, allowing the NIM Master to boot machines
with the same level of AIX as itself, and older (but not newer).  Sysback,
as I understand it, can only deal with client running the same level of
AIX.  NIM also acts as an install server...

> > This sort of functionality (i.e. mksysb across a network) is available
> > using IBM's sysback product.
> > You can use this to backup to another machine's disk  or tape and also to
> > restore the rootvg across the network.
> >
> > I have an idea that NIM has similar functionality, but I've never explored
> > it.  Sysback is a good product and reasonably priced, last I looked.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Steve Harris,
> > AIX/ADSM/Oracle/HACMP Guy,
> > The Wesley Hospital, Brisbane Australia
> >
> > Shekhar Dhotre <Shekhar.Dhotre.B AT BAYER DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on
> > 28/07/2000
> > 02:17:50
> >
> > Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
> >
> > Sent by:  "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
> >
> > To:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> > cc:
> > Fax to:
> > Subject:  Re: Mksysb
> >
> > Sorry , i mean to say  how we can make  mksysb in  copypool or tapepool.
> >  TSM software will always be in rootvg as it is installed in
> > /usr/tivoili/tsm
> > directory.
> > i am thinking from client side , My client includes AIX  machines also.

> > This email message has been swept by
> > MIMESweeper at The Wesley Hospital - Australia

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
ADSM Administrator
(tkssteve AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 |
http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)