ADSM-L

Re: Backing up client from ADSM Server

2000-07-27 11:55:41
Subject: Re: Backing up client from ADSM Server
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:55:41 -0500
OUCH !... that is really what the include/exclude list is all about... (and
domain statements and the dsm.sys and/or dsm.opt file(s)) to set what you
want to process, then any backup is as easy as
        inc
OK, besides that... you have to remember to backup a file you HAVE TO BE THE
OWNER OF THE FILE !
"root" is a special case owner of all under unix, under other operating
systems you have to deal with this based on what you have to work with...

Now, on something where there really isn't individual ID's owing things...
to find out what is what...
do a "q file" to see the exact syntax of things... (from a dsmc, oh after
you've done at least one incremental)

Oh, also "..." isn't valid within a file specification for
incremental/selective processing, you would use the combination of
-subdir=yes and *
so something like
so something like
> dsmc> sel -subdir=y -tapeprompt=n nodename=NTWLAMEZE d:\*\dsm*.log
this would travel down all subdirs on D: looking for matches to dsm*.log
***
now ALSO if you have your copy frequency of the backup copy group of the
management class under the domain to which the node is associated set to
something other than zero (0) then you can't backup that file more than once
in that many days !
***

Dwight

ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager
Command Line Backup Client Interface - Version 3, Release 1, Level 0.6 Q
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1990, 1998, All Rights Reserved.

dsmc>

dsmc> sel c:\temp\*
Selective Backup function invoked.

Directory-->                   0 \\amtulw110199\c$\Temp [Sent]
Normal File-->             1,536 \\amtulw110199\c$\Temp\~oleapp.doc
[Sent]
Normal File-->            23,653 \\amtulw110199\c$\Temp\currocc [Sent]
Normal File-->            18,632 \\amtulw110199\c$\Temp\amchis [Sent]
Normal File-->             2,045 \\amtulw110199\c$\Temp\cyamsg.txt
[Sent]
Normal File-->               364 \\amtulw110199\c$\Temp\mac.ini [Sent]
Normal File-->         2,107,073 \\amtulw110199\c$\Temp\iQfx2Basic.exe
Selective Backup processing of 'C:\TEMP\*' finished withou

Total number of objects inspected:        7
Total number of objects backed up:        7
Total number of objects updated:          0
Total number of objects rebound:          0
Total number of objects deleted:          0
Total number of objects failed:           0
Total number of bytes transferred:     2.61 MB
Data transfer time:                   16.22 sec
Network data transfer rate:          165.18 KB/sec
Aggregate data transfer rate:        126.38 KB/sec
Objects compressed by:                  -27%
Elapsed processing time:           00:00:21
dsmc>