ADSM-L

Re: Windows 2000 backup

2000-07-26 11:11:07
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 backup
From: Andy Raibeck <Andrew_Raibeck AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 08:11:07 -0700
Hi Tim,

Yes, we are very well aware of the current short-comings in the
support for the Windows 2000 system objects, and we understand
the need to make it better.

We are actively working on improving our overall support
(function and documentation) in this area for both backup and
restore.

Ideally we would have preferred to deliver fully-functional
support for the Windows 2000 system objects. However that
was not possible to do within the desired timeframe. The
current support is not ideal, but rather than wait for the
"complete" solution to be available, we thought it would be
better to provide the "basic" support, and roll the
enhancements out over the next year or so.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM/Tivoli
e-mail: andrew.raibeck AT tivoli DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

Mike Dile replied:

> You will need to schedule a backup of each system object in a batch file
and
schedule the execution of the batch file.  The batch file would include
commands
such as:  DSMC BACKUP EVENTLOG, DSMC BACKUP SYSVOL ... etc.

> Tivoli recommends backing-up the system objects during along the same
timeframe as the file systems.

Since we should back up these system ojbects every time we do a backup,
wouldn't it make sense (and save our time) to have options (like
BACKUPREGISTRY) that could be set to backup these system objects?

Tim Rushforth
trushfor AT city.winnipeg.mb DOT ca