ADSM-L

Re: copy to 2 different tapes?

2000-07-24 12:46:34
Subject: Re: copy to 2 different tapes?
From: John Schneider <jdschn AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 11:46:34 -0500
John,
    I have a customer with a similar requirement, and I wrote a script
for them which sounds like it would work for you, if I understand the
requirement correctly.
    Their data is archives from an Oracle database, and their paranoia
is understandably great, because they were backing up to DLTs of
questionable reliability.  Now they are using 3590E's, but still, you
can't blame them for caution.
    The script does an 'dsmc archive' of the data (which is in a regular
filesystem).  The archive goes straight to tape, and then the script
immediately does a 'backup stgpool ... wait=yes', and makes sure both
the archive and the 'backup stgpool' complete successfully before it
deletes the original files.  This logic was somewhat trickier than I
expected, because the 'backup stgpool' command currently has a bug,
where the command can fail, give a completion status of 'FAILURE', and
at the same time exit with a '0' return code!  So I had to write my code
to trap the output of the command and scan it to make sure all was well.

    Doesn't this meet your requirements?  It creates two tape copies,
one of which can go offsite using DRM.  And it verifies the correctness
of the first one by creating the second one.  If you want to be even
more paranoid, you could make a second copy stgpool of the first one, or
do an audit volume of any volumes mounted, but I personally think that
is overkill.
    If you want the script, reply to me.  I won't hog bandwidth by
posting it to the whole list.

I hope this helps,

John Schneider

* John D. Schneider   Email: jdschn AT attglobal DOT net * Phone: 636-651-4641
* Lowery Systems, Inc.
* 1329 Horan                  Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are
* Fenton, MO 63026                   mine and mine alone.