ADSM-L

Conversion from OS/390 to AIX

2000-07-24 07:34:28
Subject: Conversion from OS/390 to AIX
From: Christo Heuër <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:34:28 +0200
Hi,

I know a few of the list members has gone through a conversion from OS/390
to AIX. What I need is something in terms of sizing for the AIX system to
handle the load the OS/390 system was handling. The S390 system currently
has a db of 14.5Gig and backs up approximately 100-200Gig a night. The
current problem we have is very high Cpu utilization and the workload on the
S390 server being 'capped' - as not to interfere too much with the other
applications running there. We initially want to just export our current
database to the AIX machine and run some queries etc. on the AIX box with
the S390 db. We can then do the same query on the S390 box and get an idea
of how the two compare in terms of the efficiency of the db - my personal
feeling is the db structure on the S390 platform is not giving all it should
be able to. I know we had a discussion sometime last year to the pro's and
con's of moving the Adsm/Tsm db to another db platform like oracle or db2 so
I'm not going to request anything like that. All I want to know is, the
people that has done something similar - what was your experiences -
performance wise. It does not have to be AIX - even Sun....
I know this environment is small compared to others like Dwight especially
in terms of the Gigs transferred per night - but we had network limitations
to the S/390 host so we could not really afford to grow the clients more -
we went for multiple NT servers to handle the load in specific buildings
across the enterprise.

Thanks
Christo Heuer