ADSM-L

Sharing 3494

2000-07-21 15:42:39
Subject: Sharing 3494
From: Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 14:42:39 -0500
I know Friday afternoon isn't the best time to ask something big, but here
goes anyway...

Our current ADSM server is full and our new server is on the floor and
almost ready to put into service.  The setup is as follows:

Current ADSM server:
       RISC/6000 AIX 4.3.2
       ADSM 3.1.2.57
       3494 via scsi
       6 3590E scsi (twin tailed?)

New TSM server:
       SP2 AIX 4.3.3
       TSM 3.7.3
       3494 via fibre channel and SAN Data gateway
       6 3590E scsi (twin tailed?)

The documentation for having two machines use the same 3494 (the new
redpiece and the 1996 redbook) is making its way around the
office.  Opinion is split on what the documentation actually says;  some
understand it that we can setup the 3494 on the new server as a shared
device and let the existing definitions stand;  others read it to mean that
we must partition the 3494 between the two systems, assigning some drives
to one server and some to the other, while dividing the tapepool at some
arbitrary place.

I'm not sure if it's relevant to the discussion, but "lsdev -Cc tape" on
the new machine shows the robot and all six drives as available, and "mtlib
-l /dev/lmcp0 -M tape#" mounts a volume.
Any guidance from anyone who has already faced this problem will be greatly
Any guidance from anyone who has already faced this problem will be greatly
appreciated.

Fred Johanson
System Administrator, ADSM
S.E.A.