ADSM-L

Re: Backup of DB to the same tape pool as backup client data?

2000-07-14 10:49:34
Subject: Re: Backup of DB to the same tape pool as backup client data?
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 09:49:34 -0500
In general... well, what is done here...
We've decided to keep 7 copies (daily full backups are performed)
just prior to our scheduled event of
        backup db t=f s=y dev=3590devc
we do a
        del volhist t=dbb tod=-7
so just prior to performing a "current" db backup we delete the volume
history record for any dbbackups older than 7 days.

ADSM/TSM won't let you purge your only DBBACKUP so the best you could do is
have 2 tapes and overwrite them every other day, always leaving you with a
minimum of 1 copy.
(yes you may use specific volsers...I believe if you just checkin the
vols(s) as private)

Dwight