ADSM-L

3494 LIBVOLS...

2000-07-12 12:17:32
Subject: 3494 LIBVOLS...
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:17:32 -0500
Something folks might want to try...
In some environments we've had to take library volumes out of the ATL... now
if you put them back in (while they contain valid data) you must check them
in as PRIVATE... well, I think when the data on them expires (or is cleared
by reclamation) the tape volume remains private rather than rolling back to
a "scratch" status...(which is how they were checked in to begin with)
I found a lot of private with no data volumes in the environments where we
have shuffled a lot of tapes in & out of the ATL...
Oh, and in checking the volhist the last thing seen is a delete for the
volume.

and if you are in a unix environment, here is something that will assist in
doing this...

Take a listing of your LIBVOLS
Select records that are "Private" & "Data"
        dsmadmc q libvol | grep Private | grep Data > libvols
Now take a listing of your volumes with device type of your drives within
the ATL
        dsmadmc q vol dev=3590devc > vols

Now how many "data" library volumes are not known to ADSM/TSM ? ? ?
        for VOL in $(cut -c18-23 libvols)
        do
                grep $VOL vols 1>/dev/null 2>&1
                if [ $? -ne 0 ]