ADSM-L

Re: Conceptual question on ADSM scheduling

2015-10-04 17:29:33
Subject: Re: Conceptual question on ADSM scheduling
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Schedule randomization only works with schedmode polling, where the clients
contact the server to start a backup.

If you're using schedmode prompted (which we prefer - we can kick off test
jobs
from the server whenever we want), then you have to make several different
schedules to spread out the load.

On the other hand, why NOT hammer the network? at 2 AM, will users suffer?
And
your typical NT box will be done in 10 minutes or less anyway, and alot of
that
time is client think time, not  network transmit time.

Another point is that a lot of organizations have a separate backup network,
or
switches partitioned into VLANs, or even a real Storage Area Network,
dedicated
to doing things like backups.  So it's perfectly alright to slam that
network.

--
Mr. Lindsay Morris
Mr. Lindsay Morris