ADSM-L

Re: Transfer Rates

2000-07-05 15:01:29
Subject: Re: Transfer Rates
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 14:01:29 -0500
On your MVS server is the path in an OSA adapter or a 3745 (did I get that #
right ? it has been a while)
if your client traffic is entering via the same path/interface with user
traffic (especially across a 3745) it will pretty much suck
we ran (when we had 2 mvs adsms) osa adapter with its own TCP/IP, isolated
from general user traffic... still had to throw large amounts of CPU cycles
at the started task ADSM in order to get any performance... in the end we
junked mvs adsm for adsm under aix on rs/6000's

also remember every router hop in the path between client & server really
kills thruput  (1 isn't bad, 2 works, 3 in a pinch, 4+ uhmmmm??? )
try a traceroute from your client to your server and see what you get...

and since I haven't given any numbers yet I'll throw in Sun client to AIX
server 2+TB dbspace compressed down to 700-ish GBs archived in 22 hours
running about 25 concurrent sessions from the client. (about 30-ish GB / hr
compressed across a single fddi interface, client & server on the same
subnet about 93 GB/hr of filespace being archived)

the aix server sits at about 30-40%busy... limited by the client.

Dwight