ADSM-L

Re: Restores failing with "Out of Memory"

2000-07-05 14:54:59
Subject: Re: Restores failing with "Out of Memory"
From: Kirk Deen <kdeen AT MSI.UMN DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 13:54:59 -0500
On Sat, Jun 24, 2000 at 10:17:07PM -0500, Kirk Deen wrote:
> I am trying to restore about 60GB of data (we had a filesystem become
> corrupted).  These are user's home directories and I am trying to
> restore the directories one at a time with a command like
>
> dsmc restore -virtualnodename=sp81 -pass=xxxx /homes/sp4/username/
>    -subdir=yes -pitd=06/23/2000 -pitt=11:00:00 /homes/sp14/
>
> Some directories are restored correctly, others fail with
>
>     ANS1030E System ran out of memory. Process ended.
>
> I am running the restore on an SP node with the following
>
> TSM   3.7.2.0
> AIX   4.3.3
>
> The node has 3.5 GB of memory.  This node is a file server so the only
> application running is the TSM client.

[snip]

Looks like this is not a TSM problem, but a bug in AIX JFS with regards
to large numbers of large files. (PMR opened with IBM on this.)

After the problem ocurrs, if I unmount and remount the filesystem the
problem goes away for a while.

Thanks to all who replied.

--
Kirk Deen                                 University of Minnesota
Kirk Deen                                 University of Minnesota