ADSM-L

Re: move a node under a XX policy to YY policy

2000-07-05 13:07:54
Subject: Re: move a node under a XX policy to YY policy
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 13:07:54 -0400
You just do:

update node nnnnnnn  domain=yy

Works fine, you don't lose data.

HOWEVER, what actually happens is that the files are rebound to the new
management class the next time a backup is run on the  client.  You may see
some messages in the scheduler log about files rebinding; it's harmless.

Before you do it, take a look at the management classes in domain xx and
domain yy.  If the management class names are not the same, any files that
were backed up to the "missing" management classes other than the default
management class, will be governed by the "grace retention period" defined
for the new domain.   That might cause you some unexpected results if you
have management management classes defined.

Hope that helps, it's a bit confusing.
You might want to create a "test" client, backup up some files, then switch
domains, then back the client up again to experience this for yourself.

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert